Awards were nominated by colleagues and the community
SaltWire Network | Posted: March 23, 2023, 2:40 p.m. | Updated: March 23, 2023, 6:39 p.m. | 5 Min Read
Dr. Michelle Cain received the Family Medicine Physician of the Year, which was presented to her by Dr. Shelagh Leahey.
YARMOUTH, NS – A recent physician appreciation reception was held in Yarmouth to celebrate excellence in local physician services.
The event was sponsored by the Yarmouth Regional Medical Professional Recruitment Partnership and the Office of Health Professional Recruitment.
The event was attended by local doctors from Shelburne, Yarmouth and Digby counties, their family members, and other stakeholders.
Twelve awards were handed out, which included 11 awards nominated by colleagues and one award nominated by the communities at large.
Dr. Tyler Green received the Making a Daily Difference Award, which was presented to him by Dr. Joe Gillis.
Dr. Brian Moses received the Life-Long Learner Award, which was presented to him by Dr. Peter Loveridge
“Despite the obvious challenges to health care at the moment, we have excellent care given locally by our physicians and it is important that we recognize that,” said Rebecca Cassidy, Community Navigator of Medical Professional Attraction, Recruitment, Retention.
“Our excellent collegial spirit here was obvious with great participation from physicians nominating their co-workers,” she said.
“It was also an opportunity to acknowledge the physicians who have retired since 2019 and those who have passed away.”
Dr. Joe Gillis received the Healthy Communities Leader Award, which was presented to him by Councillor Patti Durkee, Municipality of the District of Yarmouth, and Chair of the Municipal Doctor Recruitment and Retention Committee, who are members of the partnership. – Contributed
Dr. Erica Lasher-Coates received the Rising Star Award, which was presented by Dr. Michelle Dow.
The award recipients were:
• Outstanding Resident: Dr. Emma Crawley
• Rising Star: Dr. Erica Lasher-Coates
• Mentor Champion: Dr. Abir Hussein
• Dedicated Mental Health & Continuing Care Physician Award: Dr. Julie Chandler
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Advocate: Dr. Tessa Boudreau
• Making a Daily Difference: Dr. Tyler Green
• Distinguished Recruitment Partner: Dr. Michelle Dow
• Life-Long Learner: Dr. Brian Moses
• Family Medicine Physician of the Year: Dr. Michelle Cain
• Specialist of the Year: Dr. Elissa Cohen
• Healthy Communities Leader: Dr. Joe Gillis
• Healthcare Hero: Dr. Ashley McCormick. This was the award nominated by community members.
Dr. Emma Crawley received the Outstanding Resident Award, presented by Dr. Erica Lasher-Coates.
Dr. Courtney Mazeroll accepted the Healthcare Hero Award on behalf of Dr. Ashley McCormick. The award was presented by Mayor Pam Mood. – Contributed